Xport NO3 Plate
Ultra-activated Denitrification Plate Media, doped with Elemental Sulfur for Superior Performance Characteristics
- Highest porosity and largest useable surface area, per unit weight or volume, of all filtration media available anywhere!
- Provides huge amounts of anaerobic surface area for efficient bacterial colonization for denitrification, along with sulfur doping to act as an electron donor to accelerate the process in freshwater, pond or marine applications.
- Provides over 71,000 square feet (6,596 square meters) of surface area per liter of medium. One plate has about 125,000 square feet of useable surface area for bacterial colonization.
- Also reduces phosphate significantly and dissolved organics.
- So porous that it wicks water and stays wet for days when drained, allowing bacteria to remain viable after an equipment failure and ready for the repair.
- Doped with Aragonite to buffer pH at bacteria level, preventing acid buildup which eventually would kill the bacteria and reduce capacity (which is what happens in competing products).
9" x 4.5" x 2.5"
Use one XPort NO3 Plate for every 1,250 U.S. gallons ( 4,750 L ) of system capacity, more for heavy bio loads. Rinse material well with aquarium water or purified tap water. For superior results, seed the material using FlorinBacter, MicrōBacter7 or MicrōBacterCLEAN, as appropriate for your aquarium, by placing XPort NO3 Plate in a plastic container, filling it with aquarium water, and then adding the full recommended dose of either bacterial product, based on the size of your aquarium, to that container. Allow to stand overnight and then add the seeded XPort NO3 Plate to your system. You may also add the water back to your aquarium, if desired. It is recommended that you use sponge, fine filter floss or other mechanical filtration ahead of XPort NO3 Plate to prevent clogging with organic material. For maximum results, also provide a good carbon source for growing bacteria, such as Brightwell Katalyst bio pellets or liquid Reef BioFuel or Florin Axis, as appropriate for your aquarium, as directed on their label.
You can use more plates than the capacity shown above. You can't have too much filtration, the bacterial growth will be self limiting. It is prudent to use a whole plate even in smaller systems down to about 50 U.S. gallons. If the system is smaller than that, then use the cubes instead. For nitrification, or removal of ammonia and nitrite, employing the plate aerobically, or above the water line will provide maximum results. To do this, mount the plate in air, above the water level, and run a small stream of water through the plate. It is not necessary or desirable to run the whole flow of the main system pump through the plate. A flow of about 40 to 80 liters per hour is ideal. An adjustable flow control will allow you to adjust the water flow to only that which will flow through (and not around) the plate. On the other hand, removing nitrate is an anaerobic process and limiting oxygen to the plate as much as possible will maximize the nitrate removal. In this case, mount the plate beneath the water surface in the sump in a very low flow area, if possible.
To use one plate for both aerobic nitrification and anaerobic denitrification, mount the plate below the water surface and provide medium flow around it. The bacteria growing in the top 1/4" of the surface of the plate will be aerobic and will use up all the oxygen so that the inside of the plate goes anoxic or anaerobic. Anaerobic denitrifying bacteria will then colonize the internal surfaces of the plate and you will get both nitrification on the surface and denitrification in the internal parts.
While the NO3 plate will perform both nitrification and denitrification, it is primarily designed for denitrification. If you are needing nitrification (removal of ammonia & nitrite), you should purchase the BIO Plate.
One important criteria in marine systems is gas exchange. Xport is the best bacterial media in the world, but it is not good at gas exchange. Bio balls are the best for gas exchange, so any system will work better with a small stack of bio balls placed in the main flow (in air).